Candle suspected as cause of Dillingham apartment fire

(Via KHON)

An initial investigation of a fire at a Dillingham apartment building shows the cause may have been an unattended candle.

Honolulu firefighters were called to the four-floor building on Akepo Lane.

The incident was initially reported at about 8:30 p.m. Thursday.

According to HFD officials, the blaze broke out on a second-floor unit near the Honolulu Community College.

The entire building was evacuated as firefighters worked to bring the fire under control.

“My son-in-law broke the door down but Willy and I was getting the hose to put out the fire and then after that there was so much smoke you could not see,” apartment resident Edward “angel” Peltier said.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation.

Damage is estimated at $15,000 for structure and content.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s