(Via Ho’okele News)
Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange
The Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange (NEX) has planned a series of free events for authorized patrons to commemorate Memorial Day week and Military Appreciation Month.
* NEX movie night will be held tonight. Seating begins at 7 p.m. and the movie “Frozen” starts at 7:30 p.m. in the NEX parking lot. Beach mats, chairs and towels are allowed. Tickets are available on a first come, first served basis at the NEX aloha center. Tickets will be good for one free beverage and one free bag of popcorn during the movie. Prior to the movie, there will be entertainment and giveaways.
* Drug Education For Youth (DEFY) program will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and Saturday in the NEX parking lot. NEX and the Navy’s DEFY program have partnered in teaching children the importance of saying “no” to drugs. Parents and children are welcome to come and learn about social peer pressure, classes and programs that DEFY has to offer to promote and protect Navy families.
* Marine Corps Jazz Band will perform from 5 to 6 p.m. today in the NEX parking lot entertainment stage. The band will play popular music from several genres.
* Keiki (children’s) ID event with the Honolulu Police Department will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in the NEX mall children’s department.
* Hello Kitty appearance will be held from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday in the NEX mall children’s department. The event will include balloons, and participants can take their own photos with Hello Kitty.
* TRICARE benefits event will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the NEX mall second floor self-service department. A local TRICARE representative will be available for advice and consultation on health benefits.
* Isle 5 Band will perform from 4 to 5 p.m. Saturday at the NEX parking lot entertainment stage. Patrons can bring their beach chair, put on their dancing shoes and listen to the band.
* Hula Halau Kehaulani will perform from 5 to 6 p.m. Saturday at the NEX parking lot entertainment stage. Kumu Kehaulani and her hula students will be presenting dance from Hawaii, Samoa and Tahiti.
* NEX movie night will feature “Planes” on Saturday. Seating is at 6:30 p.m. and the movie starts at 7:30 p.m. in the NEX parking lot. Beach mats, chairs, towels are allowed. Tickets are on a first come, first served basis at the NEX aloha center. A ticket will be good for one free beverage and one free bag of popcorn during the movie. Prior to the movie, there will be entertainment and giveaways.
* “501 Legion: Star Wars” characters will make an appearance from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at the NEX mall. Authorized patrons can meet and greet the Star Wars storm troopers and emperors. They will be able to take pictures and get autographs from their favorite character.
* Memorial Day celebration will be held May 26 at the NEX mall tent in the lower parking lot. The event will include entertainment, demonstrations, giveaways, special appearances and health and fitness education.
* NEX annual diaper derby will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at the NEX mall children’s department. Patrons who have a speedy little crawler at home, 12 months and under can join the event. Applications are available now and can be picked up at the aloha center concierge desk.
Applications must be submitted prior to competition day to be contestant.
For more information on the events, call Stephanie Lau, NEX customer relations manager, at 423-3287.