(Via Ho’okele News)
A series of events will be held at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JBPHH) and Pacific Missile Range Facility throughout this month to celebrate Earth Day.
* Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange (NEX) Earth Day coloring contest now through April 15 at the NEX mall aloha center and garden center. Authorized patrons ages 12 and under can show off their Earth Day creativity in the contest. Parents can pick up the official entry form and drop off the finished entry by April 15 to the NEX aloha center. Entries will be judged on April 17 and the winner will be presented with a prize and award on April 18. All artwork will be featured in the NEX rotunda.
For more information, call 423-3287.
* NEX Earth Day Expo: Partnering for a Greener Future from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 18 at the NEX mall-side tent. NEX and JBPHH will welcome all authorized patrons to “think green” at the expo. The event will include eco-friendly demonstrations, information booths explaining how to create a greener future, Earth Day children’s games, awards presented to the coloring contest winner and new earth-friendly products. For more information, call 423-3274.
* Earth Day festival from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 19 at Hickam Harbor. The event will include boat rides, a touch tide pool and informational booths.
* Beach cleanup from 8 a.m. to noon April 19 at Pacific Missile Range Facility.
* Fifth annual Naval Supply Systems Command Fleet Logistics Center Pearl Harbor (NAVSUP FLCPH) Earth Day Fair from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 22 at building 473 at Kilo 7/8 Piers. The event will include environmental displays, a clean islands oil spill response vessel and alternative fuel vehicle displays. For more information, contact Lt. j.g. Chris Herbert at 473-7818 or email Christopher.email@example.com.
Earth Day began in 1970 as a way to place environmental protection onto the national agenda. It is officially designed on April 22 and now celebrated globally to show support for environmental protection.