(Via Star Advertiser)
Police reopened Ualena and Koapaka streets closed Tuesday afternoon after an ammonia leak in a building at 3140 Ualena St. in the Airport industrial area.
Initial reports indicated it was an ammonia leak about 1:20 p.m. Fire officials reported about 1:50 p.m. that they had contained the leak and were ridding the building of ammonia. The streets were reopened about 2:15 p.m.
The leak prompted an evacuation of a refrigerated warehouse and buildings in the surrounding airport industrial area.
A fire Hazardous Materials team determined that ammonia, used as a refrigerant, was leaking due to a faulty valve or valve left open at Unicold Corp., 3140 Ualena St., fire spokesman David Jenkins said