(Via Ho’okele News)
The theme for this year’s Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) is “Live Our Values: Step Up to Stop Sexual Assault.”
A series of events in recognition of SAAM have been announced.
The events include:
* Today, 11 a.m., chaplain corps forum titled “Total Confidentiality” at Silver Dolphin Bistro.
* Saturday, 7 a.m., SAAM awareness table at the Ford Island Bridge Run.
* April 10, 7 a.m., SAAM fun run at Wahiawa Annex Gym.
* April 14, 11 a.m., SAAM flash mob in collaboration with the University of Hawaii-Manoa.
* April 15, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., food drive collecting donated canned items and a sexual assault awareness display table at the Pearl Harbor Navy Commissary.
Canned food items will also be collected by individual commands through April 15. All donations will be given to the Armed Services YMCA.
* April 17, 6:30 a.m., SAAM fun run at Pacific Missile Range Facility.
* April 18, 6 to 9 p.m., movie night at the liberty center at the Wahiawa Annex.
* April 19, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., “Ryde Against Sexual Assault.”
* April 23, Denim Day/Ask Me Why?
Denim Day has been internationally celebrated since 1999, after an Italian high court ruling that overturned a rape conviction because the victim was wearing tight jeans. They indicated that the victim would had to have helped take them off, making her a willing participant. * April 25, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., “Shootout Sexual Assault” bystander-intervention training at Hawaii All Star.
The Sexual Assault Prevention and Response emergency line is 722-6192.
For more information on SAAM, call 474-0154.