(Via Ho’okele News)
In recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) Navy Region Hawaii and the 15th Wing will hold presentations by Anne Munch titled “Sexual Assault: Naming the Unnamed Conspirator” on April 1 at Hickam Memorial Theater.
The event will include a Navy Region Hawaii and 15th Wing proclamation signing with Capt. Mark S. Manfredi, chief of staff for Navy Region Hawaii, and
Col. Johnny Roscoe, commander, 15th Wing.
The first presentation from 9 to 11 a.m. will be an all hands and commander’s call.
The second presentation from 1 to 3 p.m. will be for senior Navy and Air Force leaders.
Munch works full time providing speaking, training and consulting in the area of sexual assault, domestic violence and stalking. She is a recognized subject matter expert in her field.
The theme for this year’s SAAM is “Live Our Values: Step Up to Stop Sexual Assault.”
Other events during SAAM include:
* April 4, 11 a.m., chaplain corps forum titled “Total Confidentiality” at Silver Dolphin Bistro.
* April 5, 7 a.m., SAAM awareness table at the Ford Island Bridge Run.
* April 10, 7 a.m., SAAM fun run at Wahiawa Annex Gym.
* April 14, 11 a.m., SAAM flash mob in collaboration the University of Hawaii-Manoa.
* April 15, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., food drive collecting donated canned items and sexual assault awareness display table at the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange commissary.
Canned food items will also be collected by individual commands from April 1 to 15. All donations will be given to the Armed Services YMCA.
* April 17, 6:30 a.m., SAAM fun run at Pacific Missile Range Facility.
* April 18, 6 to 9 p.m., movie night at the liberty center at the Wahiawa Annex.
* April 19, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., “Ryde Against Sexual Assault” with Ruff Ryders and Montgomery Powersports.
* April 23, Denim Day/Ask Me Why?
Denim Day has been internationally celebrated since 1999, after an Italian high court ruling that overturned a rape conviction because the victim was wearing tight jeans. They indicated that the victim would had to have helped take them off, making her a willing participant. Enraged by the verdict, women of the Italian legislature all wore jeans to work the following day. With their commander’s permission, service members may wear denim on Denim Day to educate and increase awareness of the need for everyone to step forward and take a stand against sexual assault.
* April 25, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., “Shootout Sexual Assault” bystander-intervention training at Hawaii All Star.
The Sexual Assault Prevention and Response emergency line is 722-6192.
For more information on SAAM, call 474-0154.